Earlier this month my sweet friend, Sarah Ann who writes over at Faith Along the Way, blessed me with an encouraging gift. She sweetly shared that she really enjoyed the words that I write and wanted to honor me with an award. This award is offered to bloggers by bloggers, and I was touched because, really, this is what we all write for, to bless others.
It made me think a little deeper about the purposes of what I write and why. It made me want to continually be aware that every thing I do should always filter through my fingers onto this page through prayer, hedged by His Word. It made me hunger more to be a blesser and an encourager, to share this grace thing with others. When we give grace, we are giving favor to others and this award is allowing me the chance to share that bit of blessing with some of the bloggers that have blessed me.
As with most things, there are some rules to follow. I have to admit that I have not been able to follow them to their completion because of the 11 bloggers I nominated, not all could accept the award. Yet, I wanted to give them a quick shout out because I just think they are grand and well, I think you will too!
Jolene writes about learning to live through eyes of faith.
Ronja has a way with her words wrapping grace around your heart.
Katie reveals the beauty of finding grace in the echoes of His heart upon her own.
Karrilee has this smile that just pulls you in, and she talks about abiding in Him with grace.
Tarissa just blesses me with her sweet and tender heart and the way she talks about motherhood and having a quiet spirit.
Beth always blesses me with the way she simply loves on others.
JoAnne has the heart of an encourager and I love the way she shares her heart for Jesus.
Brittany has a way of pulling so many people in and forging community.
Heather is fully on fire for God living a life fully for Him. She inspires me to go ALL In.
As a rule follower I have to check off my list of things to do here:
First I am encouraged to tell you 11 radom things about me.
- I love a good story! When we meet, I want to know all about you and would rather you do the talking than me.
- I really an more of an introvert than an extrovert.
- My idea of fun is to sit down at a table with a Math book and play.(Yes, really!)
- I LOVE to learn new things.
- Running has become one of my favorite past times for many reasons: I feel better, I get alone with the Lord, and my son has decided he loves it so we often run together.
- I don’t like to be idle, so if I am sitting my hands are usually busy: knitting, writing, quilting(in the distant past.)
- I really don’t like to watch TV, well except for a Christmas movie here and there. They always get me.
- I wrote a book on the US Constitution, so I love to talk about that (the Constitution, not my book) with anyone who will listen.
- Making good food and serving it to my family and friends just makes my day.
- I am a bee-keeper (ok..technically a bee-haver. I just love to sit and watch them. Well, the Honey is a plus!)
- I read about 4 different books at one time. Currently I am reading through: Atlas Girl, Choosing Him, When People are Big and God is Small, and Interrupted.
Sarah Ann asked me to share some answers to the following questions:
1. Write 3 words that describe your personality?
This was not easy for me to answer. I am a recovering perfectionist so I had to enlist the help of a few friends. After a quick text I received some sweet comments that made me cry, it is good to know what your friends see in you as a positive trait.
Compassionate seemed to be the most consistent, generous, and the one that touched my heart the most was godly. (I certainly don’t claim that but it blessed me deeply that my dear friend thought it of me.) I would say that I am very conscious of His voice and I want to please God and bless others very much.
2. How did you choose your blog name?
I love God’s grace and I talk about it all the time. When I was starting the blog it just sort of chose me. I wanted to talk about the paths the Lord was taking me on each day and it made sense to write about this passion He has called me to… extending grace to others , and to be honest, learning to extend it to myself.
3. What subject did you dread in High School?
Hmm.. that is a hard one. I loved school. I think the subject I dreaded was shop class. We all had to take one of those electives that ’rounded’ out our transcript. I LOVE learning so I was always excited to learn and I loved that part of school. I think I actually dreaded the social aspect of school more than the learning or the classes. Although, my HS Spanish teacher did frighten me, she was very extravagant.
4. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Well, at first I wanted to be a nurse and take care of people and then I became a Candy Striper. That sort of cured my desire to work in the medical profession, but it ignited my heart of compassion for others. Then I decided to pursue Accounting because I love math and well.. its all numbers.
God had different plans for me completely! His ways are always the best.
5. When do you find time to write?
I write whenever I sit down and have a pen, paper, or computer. However, my blog posts come either early in the morning before anyone is up or at night when everyone is in bed. I need quiet to actually think because I tend to get distracted very easily.
6. Do you prefer city or country living? Why?
Country living, hands down! I love my space. I love being outside with my flowers and garden and just soaking up the Son. We are close enough to town that it doesn’t take long to get there but far enough away to be out of the busy of town life. I wouldn’t mind town living for a weekend.
7. What is your favorite quote and/or Bible verse and why?
I have so many. But I think that one of my very favorites is Hebrews 4:16, “Let us therefore come boldly to throne of grace to obtain mercy and well-timed help in our time of need.” I love this because it talks so clearly about how His mercy and grace are given at all times if we just come to Him.
8. What’s a goal you want to conquer in the next year?
I have a challenge to write 2 more books that go along with my first. And I have a project that has been on my heart for a while that needs to have wings of faith to let it fly.
I’d love to make it to a blogging conference, but that is just a wish, not so much a goal.
9. What is your way to unwind or relieve stress?
Prayer, running, and working in my garden.
10. Do you have another talent besides writing that you love?
I am not sure I would consider myself talented, but I am a woman of prayer and it tends to be what I do. My son would say I am quite talented at cooking, but since that is his love-language I have learned to speak it well. I do love cooking for people. My soup and bread are often requested.
11. What are three things on your bucket list?
I have never made a bucket list, however, I’d love to write a book that will touch hearts for God, travel to Ireland and England, and I want to take my family to see The Grand Canyon and the Ocean some day. ( ok.. 4th wish is to actually get to ‘see’ the Constitution but that one is just for me)
Well.. that was a lot of talking about me!
Thank you Sarah Ann, for your precious gift of encouragement. I am very grateful to have met such a sweet and encouraging heart here in this blogging world. You are a blessing! Please stop on over and see Sarah Ann at Faith Along the Way, you will be blessed. Take time to to visit a few of my friends above, as well. They each bless my heart in many ways.
Praying that you will be encouraged and lifted up in abundance this day. I will be sharing about ways we will be celebrating Advent this year, soon. It starts tomorrow! My kids have been rounding up all of our Christmas books and they can’t wait to set up the tree.
When do you set up your tree?
Do you have an Advent Tradition?